The Welfare Department is one of the main Departments of the council and it consists of the Senior Welfare Officer, Welfare Officer, handy workers and grounds men.
The Department operates with a community and voluntary approach, in close collaboration with the other departments of the District Council.
Aims & Objectives:
1. To ensure that efficient services and facilities are made accessible to all villagers of the District.
2. To promote socio-economic, cultural and environmental well being of the local community.
3. To enhance welfare of the vulnerable groups and improve quality of life.
1. The organization of seminars, receptions and socio- cultural gatherings.
2. The provision of educational, leisure and sports activities.
3. The running of one kindergarten at Calebasses.
4. The provision of Plaine des Papayes social hall to the public for weddings and receptions.
5. Maintenance of Sports Grounds, namely 14 Football Grounds, 10 Volleyball Pitches, 6 Bocci Balls Courts, 6 Green Space and 12 children playgrounds.
In spite of the very limited personnel, the Welfare Department spares no effort to organize sports and cultural activities since January 2013. These include:
1. Reception to Maha Shivratee Pilgrim at le Hochet.
2. Cultural Programme for National Day Celebration at Triolet
3. Reception to the 9 Laureates of the District at the Rabindra Tagore Institute.
4. Inauguration of new Council Room at Terre Rouge Office.
5. Sales Exhibition for women Entrepreneurs at Terre Rouge.
6. Painting Competition for students –CPE, SC AND HSC students
7. Quiz Competition for CPE
8. Refreshment to pilgrims of Pere Laval
9. Eid Celebration
10. Reception to a group of children from Salazie
11. Football Tournament
12. Cross Country
13. Cycle Race
14. Petanque Tournament
15. Lunch to inmates of hospices
16. World Environment Day
17. Blood Donation etc.