- Subject to Section 50 of the Local Government Act 2011, a Municipal City Council, Municipal Town Council or District Council shall perform such functions as are necessary to further most effectively its purpose and, in particular, shall
- (a) develop, implement and monitor its strategic plans and budgets;
- (b) plan for and provide services and facilities for the local community.
- (c) raise revenue to enable the Municipal City Council, Municipal Town or District Council to perform its functions;
- (d) develop, implement and monitor its corporate and financial management control techniques;
- (e) establish norms and standards in the conduct of its affairs;
- (f) perform and discharge the functions and exercise the powers under this Act or any other enactment relating to local authorities and
- g) do such things as are incidental or conducive to the performance of any of its functions under the Act.
(2) A Municipal City Council, Municipal Town Council or District Council shall, subject to its financial capability and within the limits of its administrative area, be responsible
- (a) subject to the Mauritius Land Transport Authority Act 2009, the Roads Act and the Road Traffic Act,
- (i) the cleaning and lighting of all motorways and main roads;
- (ii) the construction, care, maintenance, improvement, cleaning of all pavements, bus shelters, drains and bridges and lighting of all roads other than motorways and main roads;
- (iii) the removal from any public place or road of any dead animal and the safe disposal of any carcass or dead body of such animal;
- (iv) the removal of any physical obstruction on road reserves;
- (v) the control, removal or alteration of advertisements;
- (b) subject to any regulations made under section 162(1), for the collection and conveyance of waste to disposal sites or waste management facilities;
- (c) subject to the Forest and Reserves Act, for the undertaking of works of afforestation, terracing and tree planting alongside public roads, the cutting and removing of any tree growing within 2metres of a public road unless the owner of the land bordering the road elects to cut and remove the tree within such time as may be fixed by the Council;
- (d) for the provision, maintenance, management and regulation of places of public auction, public markets and fairs, other than trade fairs and exhibitions which may be organised with the approval of the Minister to whom responsibility for the subject of consumer protection is assigned, pursuant to any regulations made under the Consumer Protection (Price and Supplies Control) Act or any other relevant enactment;
- (e) for the construction, control, care, management, maintenance, improvement and cleaning of all beds and banks of lakes, rivers, rivulets and streams;
- (f) for the construction, care, management, maintenance, improvement, cleaning and lighting of squares, open spaces, parks,gardens, public buildings including lavatories, baths and swimming pools, open and dedicated to the use of the public, except for public buildings which are the property of the State
- (g) for the construction, management, maintenance and improvement of public libraries, exhibition halls and art galleries, theatres,places of public entertainment, playing fields, nurseries for infants, pre-primary schools, cemeteries, crematoria and cremation grounds for the control of premises used for commercial, industrial, professional and other related activitiesfor the construction of commercial, industrial, professional and residential buildings and the management, maintenance and improvement of municipal estates.
- (j) for the provision, maintenance, control, management and renting of parking places for vehicles on urban and rural roads
- (k) subject to the Public Health Act, the Environment Protection Act and any other relevant enactment, for the control of pollution causing a public or private nuisance
- (l) for the licensing, regulation and control of the conduct of business activities, other than those regulated by other licensing authorities, within its administrative area
- (m) for the promotion of sports development and the organisation of sports activities, including the sponsorship of any club capable of representing the city, town or district at local, regional and international levels;
- (n) for the provision of infrastructure for leisure and cultural activities to the inhabitants and the organisation of leisure, welfare and cultural activities
- (o) for the provision, maintenance, control and management of traffic centres, including bus stations, stands for lorries and other public vehicles;
- (p) for necessary action to ensure that the buildings and plots of land along roads are properly kept, regularly maintained and embellished;
- (q) for the control, management, and maintenance of public fountains;
- (r) for the proper management and regular maintenance of assets handed over to it by any Ministry or Government Department in accordance with any existing Memorandum of Understanding, signed by the Ministry or Department concerned and the Council;
- (s) for such other undertaking as may be approved by the Minister; and
- (t) for such other functions as may be conferred on it by any other enactment.
Functions of Village Council
(1) Section 51 of the Local Government Act 2011 stipulates that a Village Council shall, within the limits of its administrative area, be responsible for –
- (a) the organisation of sports, leisure and cultural activities;
- (b) the running of pre-primary schools and entrepreneurship courses;
- (c) the maintenance and improvement of libraries and computer facilities;
- (d) the maintenance of cremation grounds and any other public health amenities; and
- (e) the performance generally of any public works to promote the sanitation and cleanliness of the village and the well being of the inhabitants.
(2) A Village Council may, subject to the approval of the Minister, carry out any other duties assigned to a Municipal City Council, Municipal Town Council, or District Council under section 50.